Friday, April 24, 2009

Potty Training



A while back, I wrote a post concerning my fear of potty training. Click here to read the story of why I fear potty training.

Well, you can only avoid the inevitable for so long. And so, we began potty training Squeaker two weeks ago.

The good news is, she did remarkably well and what I thought would be a nightmare turned out to be not so bad. But, as I’ve always heard regarding beginning potty trainers, you have good days and bad days.

This past Sunday was our first BAD day.

After church, a group of us went to Mojo’s BBQ restaurant for lunch. The place was packed. Squeaker has decided that 80% of the fun of being potty trained is the treks to the bathroom. We hadn’t been at the restaurant very long when the journeys began.

The problem….she wouldn’t “go”. We took her three times and she wouldn’t “go”.

Squeaker would get into position and then start playing a game with the toilet paper dispenser and the door. She would introduce the two inanimate objects as if they were sitting down to tea and then carry on conversations with them. Meanwhile, my BBQ is getting cold!

I finally get Squeaker back to our table. She climbs in her chair. I am about to sit down when the loudest scream I have ever heard in my life penetrates the atmosphere of the restaurant. Turning, I see Squeaker standing in her chair with pee free flowing down her legs, pooling in her chair and waterfalling into the floor.

Her screams were so loud that taking her to the bathroom across the entire length of restaurant was not an option. Instead, I scooped her up and headed out the door five feet away.

Standing outside, sobbing incessantly, Squeaker looks at me and says, “You didn’t listen to me.”

Didn’t listen to you?

She repeats, “You didn’t listen to me, I said I had to go potty.”

“I listened to you three times, why didn’t you go then?” Is the response that rushed out of my mouth.

But, my daughter mortified, I consoled her and took her to the car to change into fresh clothes. At least I had thought far enough ahead to bring those.

So, hopefully that will be the worst of our potty training days. However, as this is posted we will be at Disney world mapping out every bathroom in the park. Oh, the adventure…..

Have a great weekend.

1 comment:

B His Girl said...

How advanced she is to immediately blame it on you!! LOL! B