Friday, January 23, 2009

Love Letters to the King



I saw myself today.

The garden was soaked from a mid-morning rain. Droplets scurried down branches and dripped from the tip of each leaf lending its girth to the growing puddles beneath the canopy.

With each step, my feet slipped deeper within the saturated earth. Bending down to dislodge my sandal, something caught my eye.

Entangled in the roots of an ancient oak, a pool of water gained refuge from the sun. The puddle, undisturbed, was a perfect looking glass that reflected my every movement. I leaned over the muddy water and was disheartened by the girl staring back at me.

I tested the reflection by touching my cheek only to find the girl in the puddle touched hers as well. But, surely that could not be me. Dampened by the humidity, hair stuck haphazardly to her face and neck. Her cheeks, sallow and gaunt, looked out of place amidst a rose filled garden. Unwoven threads spilled from the aged-shawl pulled over her shoulders and lay threat to unravel the garment there beneath the tree. Dipping my finger into the pool, I’d hoped the ripples would make her disappear but she did not. The smile evaporated from the girl’s lips as it did mine.

How can I visit you in such a state? I’d seen the reflection and realized my own displeasure. How can I possibly please you?

The sun grew taller above the trees. And, I knew you’d be waiting.

Not willing to deny my heart’s desire to drink in your presence, I walked toward our meeting place.

Within minutes, I spanned the distance of the garden and found you waiting beneath the draped branches of the willow tree. Casting my eyes to the ground, I took my place by your side.
My shame stood between us. Your silence suffocated me and my heart felt as though it would shatter.

My foot turned and my body twisted until I was facing the path once again. Stepping forward to leave, your hand caught my elbow.

“Come” you said.

With your arm, linked in mine, you guided me to the edge of the lake. Dropping to one knee, I followed suit and knelt by your side.

We leaned over the water’s edge and a smile spread across your lips.

“Look into my water.” You said as your finger cracked the glassy surface and swirled the water until, at your whim, it turned into a crystal revealing secrets of yesterday and tomorrow.
Instead of my reflection, I saw old turn new. Darkness invaded by light. And, fear dispelled by truth. Drawn into the crystal, I watched images of my life replayed before me only this time I saw you etched into the picture.

You were there when the midwife handed me swaddled in a blanket to my mother. You were there standing next to me at the funeral of my father. And, you were there when the messenger brought the note calling me to your garden. Always there, always watching, always protecting. You were with me.

Your finger brushed the water’s surface again and the image changed. Tears welled up in my eyes until they spilled down my cheeks as a new vision came forth from the crystal. The girl from the puddle was standing in a great hall. You reached out and took her by the hand. A cacophony of music poured in as the couple danced across the floor. With each turn, my dress underwent a metamorphosis changing my appearance to that of a royal courtier.

Your laughter shattered the image as the crystal dispersed into a thousand water droplets and disappeared beneath the surface.

Leaning towards me, you whispered in my ear, “Do not trust your eyes Princess, trust mine.”

Yes my Lord, I will trust.

For I will forever be yours.

Love,

Your enraptured servant

“I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and a bride adorns herself with jewels.” Isaiah 61:10 NIV


8 comments:

B His Girl said...

Beautiful letter with a wonderful message! I know you are a writer, but I am not sure if there is one area you are focusing on. Have you ever considered writing Christian fiction novels?

Melanie said...

Made my eyes tear up today.
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Pen to Paper; Spirit to Soul said...

Thank you so much for being 'broken and spilled out' to help shed His love abroad.

I've left an award for you on my blog so please check it out.

Jennifer Pacacha said...

Wow! Powerful message for all of us. Thanks Spring.

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

Hi Spring,

As usual these letters touch my soul. The Lord was just teaching me that one of my issues is the fact that I am bent on comparisons. That is not a good thing, and I need to learn to see myself through His eyes. You are such an encourager!

Love you!
Sonya

Mary Moss said...

This one touches me deeply. This is an area that women - and especially young girls - struggle with.

Our self-image is damaged by the world. Only when we are able to see ourselves through the eyes of our King do we see our true beauty.

Julie Gillies said...

Loved this one, Spring. The dancing, the gown, trusting His eyes instead of my own. Beautiful, my friend.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful message, as a mother to teens I know all to well how quickly we realize we don't measure up to the beauty standards of the world. But when we see ourselves through the eyes of our Lord we realize beauty starts on the insides and shines out.